Lockdown in 4 hours. need fast advice before then.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Feb 21, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Hello, I have noticed on other threads that a lot of people have placed their soon-to-hatch eggs in egg cartons. I've also noticed a lot of people that just lay their eggs down on the wire above the reservoir(I'm using a 1588). What are the pros and cons to putting your hatching eggs in the egg cartons? What's the theory behind it? I have never hatched before and I really want to make sure to get everything as right as possible. I just bought a couple cheap feeders and waterers yesterday.. I'll feel real dumb if none of my 32 eggs hatch.

2. Jed

Jed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    I have hatched out of egg cartons because it keeps the chicks that have hatched from rolling the non hatched eggs around. Put the large end of the egg up.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I never hatch in cartons. The reason is I try to mimic a broody hen, plus, sometimes they pip low on the egg and if they're in a carton, they can't make it out in that case. Some folks swear by it, but I just don't do it.

4. Goblnfvr

Goblnfvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Midland Ont. Canada
    I incubate my eggs in egg cartons then at lockdown I take them out and put them on a soft screen [window screen] hatcher that I built. It keep the eggs at the same height in the incubator as the egg carton.

5. Jed

Jed Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2010
    I have also heard you want to position them in lockdown similar to how they were the first 18 days. So if they were in an egg turner, put them in a carton to hatch. If they were on thier sides and you hand turned them, don't use a carton. I think it has something to do with the position they were in while developing.

I am currently incubating for my second time. The first time the eggs were on thier side and I hand turned and at lock down I put them into an egg carton to hatch. 9 of the 10 that I had at lock down hatched. Good luck what ever direction you go.

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Alright cool. Thanks everyone for their input. I think I'll end up trying both methods. Might go no carton the first go around. But I'll be starting another batch of eggs in a week or two. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by