Lockdown in the Brinsea Octagon Eco 20 TOMORROW!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hd_darcy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Any tips? Please share what has worked best for you! I believe I will put a non-slip mat down, take the brackets out, and close the vent entirely and fill both channels with water..then don't touch. Is that all I need to do??? Eggs obviously just lay on their side, right?? I started off with 14 eggs, sadly I only have 3 that are developing. [​IMG] (They were shipped eggs.)

I know my temp has been spot on, but I did let the incubator go dry once..ugh.. I'm hoping for not long. Otherwise, I did all I was suppose to do these past couple of weeks..

I'm so excited!!

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    You can't close the vent -- actually, it should be fully open at this point.

There was a link in the FAQ's to a Texas A & M University Extension Service pamphlet about hatching problems, great publication, very useful. It said in there that one of the main reasons for death in the shell at pip was insufficient oxygen in the incubator. I tried to open it the other day, the link no longer works, and I googled but couldn't find the pamphlet online, either -- wish I'd saved it before, it was really good.

Anyway, they need more oxygen at this point than they did before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by