Lockdown info......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DUCKGIRL89, Aug 15, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Im going to be getting some eggs of ebay soon, and I have a question. Is it true that your not suppost to open the lid while they are in lockdown? And why!? Thanks

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Could someone help me before the eggs get here?

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Yes, it's true. And the reason is because eggs need high humidity during lockdown and especially once they actually start hatching in order for the chick to be able to turn inside the egg and zip its way out. When you open the bator your carefully built up humidity will drop, and once you close the bator again it will take some time for the humidity to build back up. This drop in humidity can cause the membrane of the eggs to dry up and the chicks, ducklings, whatever, to become stuck inside the egg and unable to hatch on their own.

If you don't know much about incubating, it's a really good idea to search this forum and read for yourself all the various sticky posts and incubating guides that people have spent loads of time writing especially to help out other people like yourself who want to learn to do it right.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by