Lockdown is tomorrow 3/31! Questions, HELP!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wensleydale Farms, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Wensleydale Farms

Wensleydale Farms In the Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Cascade, WI
    My lockdown is tomorrow!! What do I need to know besides taking the eggs out of the turner and not opening the incubator? This is only my second time hatching. My first hatch I only had 3 hatch.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    first congrats!! [​IMG]

next, make sure to bump your humidity up. What is the humidity right now????

3. Wensleydale Farms

Feb 21, 2011
    Cascade, WI
    Thank you! after I read this and bumped up the humidity to about 50%. Does it need to be higher?

4. Farmin Momma

Farmin Momma Songster

Feb 18, 2012
    Mill Creek, Wa
    Yes, for lockdown it should be about %75-80.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    IMO 75-80% is too high. I use dry incubation and only add water at lockdown. I add enough warm water to bring humidity to about 60%. When the chicks start hatching, the humidity will rise on its own due the to wet chicks. I remove my chicks when they are dry and active, but I do wait until there are several to remove at once as to minimize the number of times the incubator is opened during lockdown. Also, it's o-kay to let the temp fall a bit if the chicks are going to spend a day or more in the incubator. I went into lockdown tonight as well. When I placed the eggs in lockdown, there were already 2 pips in the tiny game eggs.

6. laura877

laura877 Songster

Oct 18, 2011
    Attica, Mi
    I did the dry method for the first time and had almost a 72% hatch rate. I kept my humidity at 65%. There were times that it dropped and I got some hot water out of the faucet and put a couple of capfuls (pop bottle caps) in. I was using a still air incubator.

7. Wensleydale Farms

Feb 21, 2011
    Cascade, WI
    Ok, Thank You all for the responses. I have bumped up the humidity to about 65%. I keep checking on it to see if anything has happened yet and am trying hard to sit on my hands.

8. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Hang in there and Good Luck!!! [​IMG]

Keep us posted!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by