Lockdown- janoel12 incubator

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bluemonster107, May 10, 2019.

1. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    So I am on day 14 of incubation and ready for lockdown. The directions in the janoel12 are for crap... but from what I understand on the actual process is... I was careful to remove the eggs (keeping in same orientation)to take out the egg turner and replace with bottom screen . Under the screen I placed some sponge pieces to help hold humidity. I placed the shelf liner on that screen and added the 100ml water to sponge pieces.... so am I good ?? Did I miss something?

Attached Files:

le_bwah likes this.
  2. LoveMyChickenBabies

LoveMyChickenBabies Crossing the Road

Sep 11, 2018
    Kansas USA
    Texas Kiki likes this.
  3. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    Looking good! Don't worry if the sponges lose moisture too fast unless it gets really dry in there—the hatching chicks will let off a ton of moisture later. Just keep that thing closed until the babies are dry-ish and you've got a warm brooder ready to go. I'm excited for you!

Bluemonster107 likes this.
  4. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Thanks I’m nervous and excited!!! I just don’t want something be my fault .. ya know...
    And quick question on temps... what should they be reading during this lockdown time? Thanks so much for the assistance in advance

le_bwah likes this.
  5. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    I've never lowered mine during lockdown (on purpose, at least—cheap incubator did that for me constantly :lau) and aimed to be around 99.5F. I know some people lower temps by a degree or two during that time, but I'm not sure what the reasoning is behind the practice. Hopefully someone who knows can chime in and offer more advice.

6. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Thank ya... I did read all of the “basics” files provided beforehand... just wanted to double check other users.. maybe any that have my model of bator?? I use an additional temp /humidity gauge inside it seems to be anywhere from 98.7 - 100.3 during the incubation period... I guess all I can do is cross my fingers and hope for the best

le_bwah likes this.
  7. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    I've got my Janoel 12 warming up in my bedroom as we speak :D (eggs slated to arrive tonight). Does yours lose heat badly too? I've had to wrap it in a blanket to keep things stable every time.

Fingers crossed for your hatch :fl—it's nerve-racking in a good way!

8. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Oh my gosh!! YES!!! ... it’s the craziest thing... like a mind of its own... it seems to keep the temp better when my ambient outside The bator is cooler!! First timer so I was afraid to do anything to it’s default settings... didn’t try wrapping it though... since lock down (2 hours now) seems to be hovering at 98 on my separate therm... ya think that would be okay??? Anything I should do or shouldn’t do?? (Besides not opening.. lol)

le_bwah likes this.
  9. le_bwah

le_bwah Songster

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    98F should be fine. As far as I know, better to be a bit too low than a bit too high. If you're nervous about chilling, though, you can wrap a blanket/towel around the base (clear part) for a bit of insulation.

The instruction manual for the Janoel 12 reads like an auto-translated mess—made me nervous to fiddle with things, too. But all you really need to know how to change is the target temperature (so long as you know what the actual temperature is).

10. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    Thank you so much!!! You have been sooooo incredibly helpful!!!
    And yes! Those instructions... as I roll my eyes... the one part where you take out the tray to rotate eggs... but don’t take it out until hatch.. then take it out when they are hatching?!? I was like “huh????”... and then went direct to YouTube to watch user videos.. Hahahaha

le_bwah likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: