Lockdown last night humidity at 70%

jessicayarno

Songster
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This if my first time incubating. I went into lockdown last night, but my humidity is hanging 70%. Is that too high? I am using the new Reptipro 6000.
What can I do if it goes higher once they start to hatch, can i put a smaller dish of water in there or am i not suppose to open the bator at all til all babies are hatched?
Thanks in advance for any advice

70% is not too high. I'd consider that pretty close to perfect.

What to do when the humidity goes higher after they start to hatch? Your being in the Pacific Northwest makes it a little harder. I don't know what is in season. If you were on Louisiana this time of year, I'd recommend fresh strawberries. But my suggestion is get a bowl of vanilla ice cream, mix in some fresh fruit, chill, and enjoy the process. It is absolutely normal and not a problem for the humidity to go up after they start to hatch. 85% to 90% is fairly normal for me after they start to hatch, and I normally start lockdown around 65% to 70%.

You want the humidity high during lockdown and especially when they have pipped so they do not dry out and get stuck. The humidity is going to be less than 100% in the incubator. Even if it gets to 95%, which is highly unlikely, by the laws of physics you will not get condensation in there. High humidity will not hurt them.

If the humidity is real high, they may be real slow to dry off after they hatch, but that is not a disaster or really any problem. Once the hatch is over, you can either crack the incubator top to reduce humidity, remove the saucer of water, or put them in a warm brooder. Just don't let them get a chill when transferring them.

I have been a nervous wreck. I was fine up until now, but i just want all of these little guys to make it and it not be my fault if they don't. You are too funny with the ice cream and strawberries comment. I needed that LOL...I will wait to see what the humidity does before I intervene. Thank you so much for easing my mind...

If I were you I wouldn't touch it. A lot of people actually struggle to get their humidity high enough and have to add jars, sponges, etc., so be happy you got it up there on the first try! It will come down a little in the next day or so until the chicks start to zip and hatch anyway. And like Ridgerunner said, the worst case scenario is your chicks will take a little longer to dry off. I'd say that's a pretty good worst-case scenario! I have one egg left unhatched today (day 21) from a batch of bantam cochins. I've only hatched seramas before and for some reason hatching a new breed made me as nervous and hatching for the first time. It was pure agony watching those pips not move for 24+ hours, but I kept my hands off and everyone has hatched out just fine so far.

Keep us posted on your hatch. And of course post pictures! Which breeds are you hatching?

Back
Top Bottom