Lockdown Night Day 19 2 hours after first chirp and a pip already?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rainstorm, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Lockdown today for half of my Lg eggs, Couldnt figure out how to get the rail out of the turner so I got worried knowing that im not suppose open the bator, well I did so I could lay them out of the turner, sitting here worried and then I hear a little CHIRP! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I must be doing something right, this is my first hatch and ive already made a silent agreement with myself that if I even just get One chick out of all the eggs im happy [​IMG]

its just went on lockdown today and since I already hear chirping does that mean it might hatch tomorrow? how long till I should see a chicky running around my bator? then how long should I leave them in their before taking them out?

EDITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

its only bee 2-3 hours after I quit turning and heard a chirp and theres a pip all ready??? Gosh he couldnt wait till tomorrow so I could finish my homemade incubator to do the hatch in!!! speedy little booger

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  2. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't have answers for your questions, but just wanted to say I am feeling the same way about my first hatch. I originally had 24eggs, threw one out on day 5, I know two of the ones in there now are bad and I will be throwing them out before lockdown tomorrow. So I will start lockdown with 21 eggs and I am hoping to get at least 12 babies, but frankly, even one will be thrilling!

3. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:[​IMG] I really have no idea how to tell good from bad yet.. cept from the part of telling that theres nothing formed in there. So im just leaving all the dark ones in their till a few days after their due date then tossing em.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The two I am throwing out are the only ones I know for sure won't make it. One is clear and never even started to develop and the other obviously died around day 6 or 7 as it is the size they were when I candled around that time. Other than that, I don't know how to tell which ones are bad. If they look reasonably full, I am leaving them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by