Lockdown opening in shower high humid

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCanada, May 7, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Is it a bad idea if need to open the hatcher during lockdown, if I go into the bathroom, crank the shower and make the humidity go about 70%+ then open the hatcher? I noticed mold on their food.

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    food?

you don't need food in there. the chickens absorb the rest of the yolk into their abdomen during hatch, and do not need food or water for approx 3 days after hatching (so long as the humidity and temp levels stay appropriate).

this is the reason hatcheries are able to ship day-old chicks - because they do not need to eat or drink for several days.

3. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:oh serious, ok I thought I still had to put the food in there in case I had a late hatcher or something. Ill keep this in mind for round 2. What about the shower question?

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    You can open it without doing much harm as long as you don't do it too often and only when really nessasary. I use 1 incubator as a hatcher and incubator and have to open it 3 times a day to turn eggs. I try not to open it any more than that and they do fine. You don't have to worry about bringing it into the bathroom.

5. SilkieCanada

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:I read so much about the birds getting shrink wrapped. That never happened to you?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by