Lockdown Please help???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by derricknapril, Oct 12, 2009.

1. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    I have 12 white silkie eggs in my bator, today was day 17 at 2:30 pm it is now 5:30 pm. Tomorrow will be the 18th day at 2:30. Some people have told me with the silkie eggs they lockdown on the 17th day and some lockdown on the 18th day. Can anyone recommend when I should lockdown? This is going to be my first hatch and I am very nervous but excited at the same time. Thanks![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Silkies are the same as any chicken hatching egg.
    Evenings of day 18, stop your turner and take it out and if hand turning you stop also. Remember your temps and humidity will go down if you take out a turner but will or should rise back to normal within a few hours or a day. Just candle one last time, bump your humidity levels and no opening the bator for the last 3 days.

3. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Thanks. That helps alot. I have actually gotten two bators so I was planning on moving them to the one with out the turner. I have had it running since yesterday. I noticed when I remove both of the tabs for ventilation it is hard to keep the temp at 100. It will drop to 80 then go back and forth. So I put one of the tabs back in and it has been stable at 100, is that ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by