Lockdown question for HovaBator 1588. need quick advice

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cupman, Feb 20, 2012.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have never hatched eggs before but tomorrow afternoon I am going into lockdown with 32 eggs. I know the humidity must be cranked up and the lid must remain closed. I am probably over-thinking this but I was wondering how many reservoirs you guys with 1588's fill during lockdown. Thus far I've only been using the central reservoir and humidity has held steady between 45-50%. My fear is the reservoir drying up before lockdown is complete and having a screwy hatch. My other fear is filling too much of the reservoir and having the humidity levels too high. I know climate affects the humidity but I'd still like to hear what you guys do. Someone from the pacific northwest would be great to hear from.

Thanks

2. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    I hatch with a 1588. I remove the red vent plug, place a slurpee straw through the hole down to the screen area. Then I use the barrel from a large syringe (you can buy them at a feed store) to put water into the incubator without having to open the lid. The water just goes down the straw like a funnel. Just put in a little at a time (couple of tablespoons), replace the vent plug and give it an hour or so to see the new humidity. You can always add more water or if you get it too wet leave the plug out for a while.

Good luck with your hatch, hatch day is exciting!

Deb

3. crankster76

crankster76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    Kingston,Tn.
    I use the dry method. 20 to 30% then the 18th day I fill all the slots with water to bring the bator to 75% or so. I have had 100% hatch rates doing this. I got a havabator .

4. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Great idea! I will be doing exactly that. Thank you very much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by