lockdown question in a 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 12kids&manychicks, May 30, 2010.

1. 12kids&manychicks

12kids&manychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Whitehall
    Heading into lockdown tonight - QUESTION
    I filled the water channels at the bottom as the directions said, then I put papertowel over the wire and laid the eggs on that. Now, looking in there--- the paper towels are all wet - is that a problem??
    Thanks
    Steph

2. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Do you have a hygrometer?
    I never put paper towels down with mine, so I can't help you there, but I do use the hygrometer and make sur it'sbetween 60 & 65 % humidity

3. 12kids&manychicks

12kids&manychicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Whitehall
    I don't, we just filled the water channels like the directions said - we are going bare-bones:)

I could take the paper towels out if it is a problem with the eggs being on the wet towel-

anyone??
    Steph

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a Genesis 1588 and it sounds like your water wells are too full. You don't want the water touching the wire bottom. I put my eggs in an egg carton for hatching and have had good success. I would take out the wet paper towels and get your water level down. If you don't want to use an egg carton for hatching you can use paper muffin cups. You don't want your chicks sitting on a wet surface when they are supposed to be drying out before you remove them from the incubator. This is how I set up my 1588 for hatching. GOOD LUCK! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by