1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lockdown Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RustyBucketFarm, Mar 6, 2016.

1. RustyBucketFarm

RustyBucketFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2016
    West Virginia
    Hello friends!

My eggs (33) were locked down yesterday and I immediately started seeing movement from three eggs... just a "little" rattle that went on for about a minute or two. Should I be seeing egg movement from all eggs on day 18 and 19 (today is day 19)? I'm so nervous that I don't know what to do!

I keep reminding myself of my own Mama hen's words... "Let nature take it's course".

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Nope, no reason to worry. Some eggs rock and roll like crazy before they hatch, others don't show any signs of life and then magically turn into a chick :D

Sounds like you're right on track, happy hatching!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    I just put 32 eggs on lockdown yesterday too! I only have one egg less than you! This morning we got a pip and I've seen a couple eggs rocking. This happens every time, it's just the chicks moving around in there. I think your eggs are doing fine [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch, let us know how it goes!

1 person likes this.
  4. RustyBucketFarm

Feb 15, 2016
    West Virginia
    I feel so much better! I've been watching them like a hawk... well maybe not a hawk but a concerned Mama! lol

5. RustyBucketFarm

Feb 15, 2016
    West Virginia

Good for you on having 32 eggs and you'll also have to let us know about your hatch! So far no pip yet here but I keep checking on them. What incubator do you use and humidity level are you keeping them during lockdown? I'm keep right at 100 degrees and 65 to 75% humidity. Thanks so much for your encouragement! [​IMG]

6. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Thanks, I will keep you updated! I am using a genesis 1588 with an automatic egg turner and right now my humidity is at 67%
    The chick just made the pip a little bit bigger and it started chirping. So cute [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Any action yet?

8. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Mine just hatched!! [​IMG] We now have 2 pips and a chick!
    [​IMG]
    Will get more pictures later....

1 person likes this.
  9. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    :woot

10. RustyBucketFarm

Feb 15, 2016
    West Virginia
    OH MY GOSH! I'm so happy for you!! Mine haven't moved since the first day of lockdown so I keep reminding myself to let nature take its course... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by