Lockdown question....

TattooQ27

Songster
Apr 10, 2009
Upstate NY - Albany area
Lockdown is supposed to be Thursday for our duck eggs. I will interrupt myself here and say that lockdown is Thursday for the eggs that we set but we pulled 9 eggs out from under our broody that we thought were about the same amount of days in as the eggs we were incubating and it seems now that they are a bit ahead.

I was just checking the humidity in the incubator and I noticed that one of the eggs looked a bit.....off? Not sure how to describe it but I candled it and there is yellow on the inside of the air cell. Is that normal or could it mean the duck broke the inner membrane? Another egg has very clear movement in the air cell but I am not sure if it has broken through the membrane or if the membrane is just soft enough to be easily moved.

I am not sure what, if anything I should do. Would it be ok to take all of the eggs out of the turner, mark the eggs that are clearly ahead of the others and then leave them alone but hand turn the others for another day or two? I am fairly certain I can maintain the temp/humidity and I am already misting once a day or whenever the incubator is opened so that wouldn't be an issue. I am just worried that the ducklings that are ahead might hatch in the turner and that wouldn't be very good.

pop.gif

3 days before hatch is not a hard fast rule, with chickens I've already stoped turning on day 14 with a 100% hatch, unless the broody eggs are alot in front of the others you should have no problems. if you see them starting to hatch when they are in the turner, stop the turner or take the whole lot out

Back
Top Bottom