Lockdown Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sonjab314, Jul 9, 2010.

1. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I have 8 duck eggs that go into lockdown on the 15th. That will fill my LG bator. I have 14 barred rock eggs that go into lockdown on the 16th and 5 cochin eggs that go into lock down on the 17th (these are in my Hovabator 1588). My question is would it be better to lockdown the barred rock eggs a day late with the cochin eggs or lockdown the cochin eggs a day early with the barred rocks? Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Which are more valuable to you? If you have a preference, that should answer your question.

What is your experience with your 1588? Does it tend to hatch a bit early or late? If the average temperature during incubation is a bit high, they will hatch a bit early. If it is low, they will probably be a bit late. Maybe experience can guide you.

This is precisely why I put all the eggs I want to hatch in the incubator at the same time. You have to decide which eggs are more important to you. If you lock down early, you take a chance on drowning the late hatchers. If you lock down late, you take a chance on shrink wrapping the early ones. I really don't know which is better. You may still get a decent hatch from any of them either way, but conditions will not be optimum.

Good luck!

3. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I didn't put them in at the same time because I didn't have them all at the same time. I'm hatching the barred rocks for a friend. The cochins I ordered and I had no idea when they were coming in when I set the barred rocks. Otherwise I would have set them at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by