Lockdown question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhd077, Mar 18, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    This is my first hatch and I go on lockdown tomorrow at 11am. I have a still air little giant. My humidty gage is kinda wierd. i calabrated it and it is 11% off. The problem is all it will say is low. It dosn't give me a number. When I add water it will say 21 or 22% for like a min and then it goes to low. My question is should i assume my humidity is 33%? When i go on lockdown i am going to add a sponge under one of the vent holes so i can wet it to help. Also am i suppost to remove the other red vent plug tomorrow? That is what the book that came with my bator says, will that help or hurt my humity???

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I hatch in an LG. I have a dial hygrometer, not a digital one. But it does read about 7 degrees off. I bump up to about 70%. If you are having difficulty getting it to stay up, a sponge soaked in warm water will help.

I leave both plugs in. Personally, unless the windows get fogged up, I leave it alone. If the windows fog and don't clear quickly, I will simply lift the lid and let some air out.

Have you changed the batteries in your hygrometer? maybe that is the problem.

3. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Quote:I have had one plug out all this time. Would it be ok to put the other plug in now? The batteries in the hygrometer are band new, but i will try that. Where did you pick up your dial hygrometer?

4. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I bought it from eggcartons.com. I got tired of fooling with the digital ones. As for the plug, if your temp and humidity are where you want them, I wouldn't change it. But since you're having lower readings, you might put it in and see if that helps.

5. scbatz33

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
  6. f8thnjc

f8thnjc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    I have the same LG still air bator, and I am also maintaining about a 40-45% humidity. I tested it all before we set it up, and what we found that upped he humidity sufficiently was adding a computer fan, which I guess is basically what is in a fan powered one. It raised the humidity to 70% within 15 minutes...worked great. The only problem was that we had to watch it constantly for that 15 minutes, because it also upped the temp a whopping 10 degrees! You just have to adjust until it stabilizes...all in all, not that hard. Hope you can figure it out. If your humidity was really in the 20's, I think the last 3 days is going to be crucial to get the humidity up a lot higher.

7. redhd077

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    update

Well after worrying and worrying [​IMG] about my humidity being low i added a sponge and put the other plug back in and nothing changed other than my temp when down a little (i guess because of the sponge.) I couldn't stop thinking about it. I was going to go find another hygometer today and then it hit me. The only time the humidity had been up and not said low was when I was calibrating it. I had only been putting the probe in the bator not the whole thing. So I put the whole thing in there and Bam! [​IMG] Humidity went up to 45%! Am I the only one that didn't know it wasn't the probe that detected the humidity?? [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by