1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Lockdown questions, and humidity question, PLEASE help this Newbie!!:)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mags2009, May 16, 2010.

1. mags2009

mags2009 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    We set our eggs at 6:00 pm on Friday, April 30th. So would I count day 1 as May 1st? Then we should go into lockdown on Tues. morning then? That would be the 18th. It would be a little over eighteen days. Is that ok? Also, we kept our humidity up until now somewhere between 35-40%, as I read lower humidity is better for the first 18 days, what does everyone think? Then try to get it up to 60-70% for the last three days, or what??? Also they say not to open the incubator during the last 3 days, but we might have to add water, right? We have a Brinsea Octogon 40dx. Thank you... I know a lot of questions, but I am very nervous!!! Thanks![​IMG]

2. suzettex5

suzettex5 Songster

May 26, 2009
    California
    Your days sound right, as do temps and humidity. Add water the day you lock down, and if you absolutely have to- add a sponge or wet washcloth to up humidity. Use lukewarm water so you dont bring down temps, keep a spot free in the bator to put the sponge or washcloth so you can get in and out quickly with out having to do any egg re-arranging.

Thats what I did with my last hatch- Maybe someone else has more experience/better ideas for humidity during lockdown???

3. mags2009

mags2009 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    just giving this a bump to get more replies.... I need all the advice I can get... PLEASE!

4. mags2009

mags2009 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    anyone?

5. greenfingers

greenfingers Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    First of all.....RELAX!!! [​IMG] Your humidity seems to be just right. If day 1 was May 1, hatch day should be May 22, so lockdown should be May 19 (Wed.). Don't be freaked by 'lockdown'. I sure was at first, but really if you need to open your bator just be quick - you will be alright. The temp and humidity recovery quickly.
    Good luck with your hatch!! [​IMG]

6. lorieMN

lorieMN Songster

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    just keep an eye out on the humidity,it will go up when the chicks start to hatch,also I have one Hovabator that doesnt hold humidity well so I put a damp towel over it on lockdown,and just keep replacing it with damp towels as it drys out,,works very well, and this way I dont have to open the incubator.

7. mags2009

mags2009 Songster

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I thought lockdown was on the 18th day not the 19th. We actually put in the eggs at 6:00 pm on April 30th, technically wouldn't it be tonight?

8. PoultryPeeps

PoultryPeeps Chirping

Jul 6, 2009
    Wasilla, Alaska
    If day one is on a Saturday, hatch is on a Saturday. Count backward 3 days from hatch day, and that is lockdown. Believe it or not, it is not an exact science, and your chicks could start hatching anywhere from probably Thursday nite on. My last batch most were a day 'early', and some even started the night before. "Lockdown" is just to be sure there is enough humidity in the bator so they can get out of their shells easily and don't get 'shrink wrapped'. When the first chick hatches there will be a spike in the humidity, caused by the moisture in the egg getting released. And so on with the rest. [​IMG] You'll all be fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by