Lockdown questions with "Chickubator"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Islandmom511, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Islandmom511

Islandmom511 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    First time hatcher here- I have a few questions....3 pekin duck eggs, only 2 are fertile. With a 28 day hatch for pekins how long should I wait to toss the one that I think is infertile? Also, it doesn't say anything about what to do with temp and humidity during "lockdown" with the chickubator incubator instructions. It does say not to turn them, but that is it. It didn't come with anything to monitor humidity, it only said to fill one of the legs with water. Should I add water to the other 2 legs to up humidity during lockdown? Also what do I do with the temp during lockdown? Last question...it seems super small for a duck to hatch in the chickubator, should I take them out during lockdown so they have more room (I have an old fishtank I can use instead and I have seen quite a few ppl on here are using them as incubators)? Thanks for all of your help! Such a great board!

2. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    does the chick-u-bator have a thermostat,,, i have seen that the older ones do,,, but the modern ChickBators dont have a thermostat

3. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:It has a little thermometer it came with, but that is it.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I have never used one but those that I know of that have have been very dissatisfied with the chick-bator.

5. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Quote:Yea, I'm just doing a little project to teach my daughter about the life cycle. Was hoping to just get 1. I did candle last night (day 8) and saw movement in 1 so it is working so far!

6. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    ***Bump*** Another chickubator question...

On lockdown I know I am not supposed to open the top but with the chickubator you have to open the top to adjust the temp. It's pretty steady by now but I'd say once or twice a day I have to move the lightbulb to make it hotter or colder. Would it be better to keep the temp just right during lockdown and open the lid or let the temp go up or down a degree and keep the lid on for humidity.

7. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    Bump....anyone???!!!

8. Islandmom511

Jul 8, 2011
    ***Someone please help!*** Lockdown in 4 days!

9. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Well, the chick-bator I am very unfamiliar with having, I have seen plenty of them, and know how they work, but I would treat it as a regular incubator, as i would turn the eggs 2 times a day, for the first 18 days, then on day 18 at the end of the day, I would turn them one last time, duck tape the lid a few layers, and add as much water as the incubator could hold, for humidity. if the water evaporated before they hatched i would find a way of placing a tube or funnel to the side of the incubator to add water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by