Lockdown questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crayonsmom, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    My 3 duck eggs are going into lockdown on April 7th! I want to make sure, right now, that I know what to do. Last minute questions don't seem like a good plan for incubating. Teehee.

-How high should the humidity be for duck eggs during lockdown?
    -I need to remove the second vent plug. How can I keep the humidity up high enough, since the humidity rings are full already?
    -Am I "allowed" to stick my hand through the window to add more water to the rings or anything during those 3 days?

I know I had more questions... They seem to have slipped my mind. Any other tips/info on lockdown would be awesome! [​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I do not do duck eggs, so I cannot help you with that.

Humidity is controlled by water surface area. You can add another water container or maybe a sponge or paper towel that is partly in a reservoir. The risk with a sponge or paper towel is that it causes the reservoir to go dry faster.

I don't know what type of incubator you have, but I can add water to mine without opening it. Some people run plastic tubing from the vent holes to the reservoirs so they can add water that way. I haven't tried that. It seems that might plug up the vent holes? Maybe not?

I take some of thos straws with an accordian bend, cut them and put them together so I can go in through a vent hole and reach any reservoir. I use a syringe that I got at TSC to put water through the straw. It is not that hard to do.

Good luck!

3. Crayonsmom

Crayonsmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    MA
    Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I think a tube through the vent hole wouldn't work too well, but a straw might be an option. It would take awhile though. Heehee.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by