Lockdown: some eggs have large and small end air cells,ARE THEY DEAD??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Wyogirl, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Just candled eggs for lockdown but I see some have air cells on both large and small end, am assuming thy are dead but want to make double sure before I do anything with them.
    Ayda

2. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    are the chicks moving?

3. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    To be honest I have hatched successfully 4 chicks and I never saw any of them move at lockdown day 18 only earlier day 10 ish
    I guess just put them in lockdown and hope for the best
    Ayda

4. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:YES, I went to WalMart bought a 147 lumens flashlight and WOW they are moving. Am in lockdown with 3 for sures and 1??
    Ayda

5. eeyore75

eeyore75 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Battle Creek, MI
    Yah- I had to buy a brighter light a few weeks ago!! The silkie eggs were tough ones with the 1st light!!

Glad to hear they are looking fine for you!!!

Are you sure there is a air cell in the small end- mine went into lockdown tonight & when I candled- it was lighter there in the point- but could make out veins on some in the point.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I don't think you are seeing an air cell in the small end of the egg-- it often appears clear 24 to 48 hours before actual hatch, but its just leftover albumen (eggwhite) and it hasn't been filled with "chick" yet -- the chick seems to grow a lot in the last few hours as it absorbs the rest of the yolk and the other fluids.

7. Wyogirl

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Thank you for that Denninimi!! It makes me feel so much better , I was about in tears, my hatch rates have been bad, and of course being a newbie I started with shipped eggs all the way from GA to WY.I have a Silkie, 1 Lav Orp and 1 turkey that I have hatched out of 33 total eggs!!!
    I will be very vigilant in my humidity and temp watch.
    Ayda

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by