Lockdown started, hope for a good hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BigOJoe, Feb 20, 2012.

1. BigOJoe

BigOJoe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Just increased the water level in my brower bator, disconnected the turner. praying everything goes well.

got 45 eggs (20 Black Copper Marans, 5 banty mix and 20 BCM/mix mix) all from my hens, put a lot of eggs in hopes of getting more than 1 or 2 chicks this time

out of the last 4 hatchs I've only had 20% or less hatch rate. at least 60-70% of the eggs had almost fully mature chicks that were dead in their shells, after day 24 and no peeps [​IMG]

so i am well aware that something has gone wrong during lock down. this go around, i got a better therometer/barometer, and been keeping a very close eye on everything.

going to be a long 3 days or so

2. EnaO

EnaO New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    New Zealand
    Good luck!

3. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    day 20! one hatche, 2 peeping!!! [​IMG]

a day early, but off to a good start!!

[​IMG]

4. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    these are the first 5 to hatch.

3 are the BCM and 2 are most likely RR/BCM but they all look like the BCM, same daddy

4 more are peeping and today is day 21. 32 un peeped so far.

[​IMG]

5. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    day 22: 16 hatched!! 3 more peeping!!

6. SarniaTricia

SarniaTricia Chillin' With My Peeps

Go chickies Go......

7. BigOJoe

Apr 8, 2010
    I think their done. Day 23, 26 hatched 45 eggs. of the 26, 1 didn't make it.

of the remaining eggs, 2 peeped but hadn't zipped in almost 10 hours today, no movement, against my gut feeling, i left them alone, till now, and they had expired :(

i haven't checked the rest, but this late in day 23, i'm thinking thats all

my wife says that's plenty!

the ending count is: 2 strawberry blond banty mix, 8 Black Cooper and 15 black cooper/mix. with the exception of the banties who are in a seperate room in the coop, all the others have the same Black cooper roo-daddy, and he has some very strong genes, because ALL the chicks look alike, i can't tell who is who!!! the mix chicks mommas are Road island reds, barbed rock and black stars

can't wait to see what they look like when they grow up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by