lockdown started last night, already see one egg getting cracked

romeoz13

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
San Antonio, TX
if one chick hatches and the rest dont today, how long do I have to leave the chick inside the incubator before I can remove her and put in the brooder? Thanks

They should be left in the incubator until fully dry (at least 12 hours). They CAN stay in the incubator for up to 3 days though, the yolk sac they absorb just before hatching provides them with food for their first few days of life. But I think it's best to open the incubator once per day to remove dry chicks and allow them to start eating as soon as possible.

Congrats on your pip. The pipped egg could be another 24 hours before it hatches. Chicks can survive for upto 3 days without food or water they live off the yolk sac they have absorbed during hatching. Once your first chick has hatched that one will encourage the other to start hatching. You may find everything hatches within 24 hours. Good luck :fl

I hope when I get home tonight there is some more pipping...I think that's what its called...we are looking forward to the hatch in the next few days or hours :)

I'm in the same boat as you too. I locked down last night with 11 polish and 1 Wyandotte x Orpington and I have just checked incubator for the 100th time today and have just seen my first pip!!!! So excited and can't wait. Hoping when I get up tomorrow morning I have more pips too. Sure you will have more too when you get home.

well this would be my 25th post...which makes me a status of "just hatched". And our little ones just hatched today...its been 4 hrs now and we have 3 of the 5 out. The other two have little pip holes and we can see its mouth poking out the hold but nothing else. I told my wife it could take up to 24 hrs but she is nervous....they hatched today at day 19...one looks really fluffy and dry...when can I take them out and put them into their brooder? Thanks

I would wait until at least two are fluffy and dry so they can come out together. They do much better with friends and will likely start eating/drinking faster that way as well.

They sometimes hatch early if the incubator temperature was a little high during incubation, so maybe that's why they are so early? At any rate, that's great yours are all hatching with no issues. Post some pics when you can! :)

My first peep just hatched. Little early day 20 but was a small egg. It's a silver laced. Got one other pip so hope everyone else catches up soon :celebrate

All 5 hatched yesterday...started around 3 pm and the last one hatched around midnight...they seem to be doing good this morning, Im going to move them into their brooder when I get home from work.

Back
Top Bottom