Lockdown temperature and humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by littlels, Nov 15, 2011.

1. littlels

littlels Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2011
    We did lockdown last night and the temperature is still at 98.2 and the humidity is 59. Is this too low? It has not changed for the last few hours. We have a Hovabator 1588. How do I get the temperature up if it is too low?

2. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    yes it is low for lock down and incubatin,and humidity should be around 60-70% just put a wet warm cloth or sponge inside to up that but with the temp you should have a dial to turn it up and just turn it up a very little at a time and watch it until you get it up to around 100

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  3. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    Hovabator 1588 (that was in my post ;-)

4. oldorchardfarms

oldorchardfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    woodstock
    yeah seen that so i updated my post lol

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    what is the ambient temperature of the room the bator is in?

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  7. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    So, I adjusted the temperature and now the stick like thermometer says 100 degrees and the digital still says 98.4. Now the humidity is up to 67%

8. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Quote:Let em know how the hatch goes--I put mine into lockdown tomorrow and day 21 is Saturday.

I have the same model of Incubator

Ron

9. littlels

Oct 27, 2011
    It worked! I have 1 egg that is pipped! Isn't that kind of early since today is day 19? It is my largest Marans egg too.....I heard that the bigger the egg, the longer they take. I guess that baby isn't out yet so we'll see how long she actually takes. :)

Now my next goal is to not sit next to it and watch it for the next 8 hours!!!! :)

Maybe I'll just find a good book to read and sit "near" the bator in case I hear some peepings....

Man, it's like having my own kiddos again! Yikes!

Thanks for everyone's help!

1 person likes this.
  10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    Quote:Hi,

I haven't hatched yet, but a common thing I have read about is expecting the chicken to come out as soon as it pips. It could take a day or so. Also, hatching is dependent on temperature. If it is too warm they hatch early if it is too cold they hatch later. The Hovabator Genesis is set from the factory with the correct temperature for chickens. I read in an earlier post that your were adjusting the temp to a warmer setting. that may explain the earlier hatch. I am not going to mess with mine until I hatch a couple of batches to see if the temp is ok. One thermometer says 101, and two others say 99, so if I split the difference I should be ok.

I will let you know if mine hatch ok. Supposed to be Saturday.

Ron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by