Lockdown temperature question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bethk, Mar 25, 2013.

1. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I locked down last night. With the egg turner out, thermometers lower, increased humidity, and both ventilation plugs out I can't seem to regulate the temp. I had excellent control in the first 18 days. I have 2 thermometers,a digital thermometer/hygrometer and the thermometer that came with the incubator. They have varied a bit but now are showing 4-5 degrees apart. I woke up at midnight and the digital showed 100, turned it down a hair and this morning it was 95 with the other showing 99. Which thermometer should I trust? Is a slightly lower temp in the last few days OK? I am worried about turning it up after what happened last night. Today is day 19.

2. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

They are probably doing that because of the humidity change. I would trust the thermometer that the incubator came with, just because that thermometer was built for that specific incubator, and can handle the humidity problem.
    I hope you hatch some beautiful chicks!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  3. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I threw another thermometer in there this morning. It agreed with the digital which was at 97. I turned it up a hair and am worrying all say at work. This is worse than being pregnant!

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LOL tell me about it! Which had you calibrated? calibration methods are in this article. you should be fine, your not too off. perhaps pulling one quick to calibrate it is best bet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 and opening the vents will create a change in environment for sure. I have to admit my preinstalled thermometer is horrible it is off by 5 degrees! then I read about calibration! Now I know which thermo/hygros are spot on! I love acurites! Good Luck!

5. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Things seem to have stabilized. End of day 20, waiting for some action! If this venture fails then it wasn't meant to be. I'll have to buy chicks :(
    My neighbor also has 12 of my eggs in an incubator that are due on Easter. Hoping we both have good hatch rates.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. TweetyNPetey

TweetyNPetey Chillin' With My Peeps

Please hatch
    Please hatch
    Please hatch
    Please hatch
    [​IMG]

8. bethk

bethk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    Morning of day 21 still nothing. No movement or peeps. I'm starting to feel like its not going to happen. I don't think I'll try to incubate again.

9. olesmokey88

olesmokey88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2013
    Give it some time from everything I've read 21 days is a base line for chickens even the slightest variable in temperature change will change the hatch time keep the humidity up and the temp holding steady and you will see some peepers soon ;)

10. Sally Sunshine

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Its only due date today! please don't stress yet!

here is some reading,.,,,,,

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Understanding The Hatching Process

Between the 15th and 16th days, the chick orients itself so that its head is near the air cell at the large end of the egg. Not long before the chick is ready to attempt to make its way out of the shell its neck acquires a double bend so that its beak is under its right wing and pointed toward the air cell.
    [​IMG]

21 DAYS is just a baseline for hatching eggs.
    Many chicks can take 23 - 25 days!
    Some pip internally and fully hatch in hours while others will be 24 hours or more.

Egg movement! Eggs can “Rock n Roll” days before they are due to hatch!

The initiation of hatch occurs partially from the increased carbon dioxide level in the egg. This process causes the embryo to begin twitching it's muscles allowing the inner shell membrane to be punctured by the egg tooth. The chick then begins breathing the air in the air cell. Using its egg tooth, it pecks at the shell thousands of times and after a few hours the chick pips a small hole through the shell and begins to breathe air directly from the outside. After the chick has made a hole in the shell, it stops pipping for 8+ hours sometimes up to 24 hours and rests.
    During this time, it is acclimating its lungs.

After the resting stage is completed the second stage of pipping begins. The chick begins to turn slowly inside the egg. As the chick turns counter-clockwise it uses the cutting edge of the chick tooth to chip away. As the chick progresses in its movement around the shell, it begins pushing on the large air cell end of the egg. Squirming and struggling! YES STRUGGLING! The chick works feverishly pushing at the cap. Finally with a shove the chick breaks free from the shell wet and exhausted. When the chick is freed completely from the shell it lies still. Its energy has been virtually exhausted, and it is extremely tired. After resting the chick begins to gain more and more energy and coordination of its muscles.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

In regards to opening and closing the bator to remove already hatch chicks; It is important to remember that chicks can go 3 days without food/water. It is better to wait for the remaining chicks to hatch to insure reducing the impact to unhatched pipping eggs.

But my new chick is running around in the bator knocking eggs around!
    LET THEM GO! DO NOT OPEN THE INCUBATOR! They are fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by