LOCKDOWN! Temps & Humidity issues :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shellybean40, May 18, 2010.

1. shellybean40

shellybean40 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    We went into lockdown yesterday. I have a Little Giant Still Air Incubator with turner. Removed eggs from turner, added water to up humidity (and sponges) and the humidity is between 70-78% and the temp never got back up to 100 after all night closed up. I adjusted the temp and am watching it like a hawk today. But, I am concerned about the humidity. Should I be?

2. ra

ra Songster

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I put my humidity at like 55%, it goes up when a lot of them hatch! If it gets to high and you get a lot of condinsation in the windows you can remove the vent plugs if it has them?

Hope you get a lot of chicks! What are you hatching??????[​IMG]

3. kupi99

kupi99 Songster

Apr 7, 2009
    My LG won't go back up either. I've been super low, like 93-94 since lockdown, yesterday, and I'm worried like mad. Today is today 21 (yes, I know my lockdown was late, long story). I think the difference is elavation in the eggs. My eggs sat higher in turner, and I measured the temp from their tops. I even risked it and bumped it a nudge- no change.

Don't know what to tell you other than I'm in the same boat.[​IMG]

4. ra

ra Songster

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    I think you both will be fine will just take longer because of the low temps!!!!!!!! Better that than cooked![​IMG]

It is hard to wait!!!!!!!!

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I am hatching a fun mixture of my friend's barnyard chickens. No purebreeds, but there is one bantam in there [​IMG] I just love those little bitty chickens. She has some polish top hats, Wyandottes, Brahmas, and many others. I am so excited-just hope everything does well!!

6. shellybean40

shellybean40 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    and both of my vent plugs are open [​IMG] I will keep everyone posted.

7. eggsited chickens

eggsited chickens Songster

May 15, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I had read in a magazine (I think it was GRIT) that the temps are supposed to be a little lower at lockdown and the humidity higher...around 70%. I don't know how true the temp thing is, but maybe by then it's not a huge deal, since they already are fully formed and only getting into postition to hatch by then.

8. ra

ra Songster

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    That sounds fun I love those mixes when you don't know what you'll get! Here are my sizzles that hatched yesterday! Post pictures of your babies when they come!!!!!I'd love to see them![​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. shellybean40

shellybean40 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    Oh! Your babies are soooooo cute!! I just love the babies!!! I will get pictures and post them, I promise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by