Lockdown TODAY! any last minute advice?????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nicoletm24, Jul 30, 2010.

1. nicoletm24

nicoletm24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    any last minute tips before they go on lock down today??????????????? [​IMG]

2. my4ladies

my4ladies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    did you see my response to your other post? We're in lockdown together today! Good luck and be sure to post any updates!!! I'm so excited [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    Depending on the incubator you have, you may want to add sponges underneath the grill, or a container with screening over it. That way, if the humidity drops, you can pour hot water onto the sponges, or into the container QUICKLY.

Don't watch the eggs!!! a watched pot never boils, and a watched egg never hatches

By all means, don't give into the temptation to open the bator until EVERYONE has hatched

Good Luck

4. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    Quote:yay! i'm excited. i'm going to be getting the bator ready here in just a little bit.

can i lay wet paper towels on the metal grating...1. for humidity, and 2. so they eggs don't slide as much?? or is that a bad idea???

and BC...thanks! the next 3 days will be a VEEEERY long 3 days i'm sure! lol

5. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    oh...another (prolly dumb) question....

do i candle them today? [​IMG]

and...i have to take the turner out, then put them back in....it won't hurt them being outa the bator for a few minutes ??? [​IMG]

6. dkluzier

dkluzier Chillin' With My Peeps

Take the whole turner out and then return eggs to the incubator. Those couple of moments will not hurt and it won't take long for the incubator to get back up to temp. The turner produces heat too so you may need to SLIGHTLY adjust the temp but I try not to rush into it until I am sure it needs done.

I don't candle this near the end. Anyone else??

I agree with the sponge in the bottom under the grill also, helps keep the humidity up without having to open the bator.

Good Luck!

7. orionburn

orionburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Quote:They'll be fine for those few minutes. Remember that a broody hen has to get up every now and then to eat & drink. [​IMG] You can candle them, but at this point you won't see much. If you've been candling to make sure the eggs were developing I wouldn't worry about it at this point. As far as the paper towels, yes, you can put some down to collect the bits of shell. You can wet them, but keep an eye on your humidity so it doesn't go overboard.

Good luck! [​IMG]

8. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    ok. [​IMG]
    got the turner out.

added as much water as i can.

the paper towel got a lil wet, but not soaked.

i didn't have sponges....so i cut up an old wash cloth, soaked it, rung out a bit of the water, then laid that under the grate, one peice in each corner.

candled them...there are a couple i'm not sure will hatch...too much room and not any movement.

now, there were some where there seemed to be a lot of extra space in the egg...hope they aren't under developed [​IMG] we shall see.
    then there were some where i couldn't see crap except for the air sack. and those had a bit of movement.

here we go...............
    thanks for all the help everyone!!!! [​IMG]
    i'm hoping for a better hatch then last. anything is better then 100% failure......

now, to go make myself busy so i quit staring at them, LOL

9. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i am also in lockdown today...[​IMG][​IMG]

10. nicoletm24

Jul 11, 2010
    Timberlake
    yay! there are a few of us that are [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by