Lockdown tomorrow....question about humidity and adding water and such

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, May 9, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    ok lockdown is tomorrow for my first hatch i have read here tht the humidity should be 80% and leave the temp as is. So i will be adding water to both of my trays on the bottom of my bator (Hovabator1620n with a fan) and i know not to open the bator until after hatch has completed. My question is this....will there be a need to add more water to the bator over the next 3 or 4 days to keep the humidity up? If so ..how do i go about tht without opening the bator lid?? [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:ACK!!!!!!!!!!! 80% is WAAAAY too high. Shoot for 60 max. Once you get the humidity where you want it, at the start of lockdown you won't need to add more water. The humidity goes really high with the first hatchling.

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:ACK!!!!!!!!!!! 80% is WAAAAY too high. Shoot for 60 max. Once you get the humidity where you want it, at the start of lockdown you won't need to add more water. The humidity goes really high with the first hatchling.

hey Crappy!!!!! **snicker** ty for responding cos i was totally gonna bring it up to 80! I candled last nite and everybody is kicking and squirming so [​IMG] Did you set your new eggs?

4. debilorrah

hey Crappy!!!!! **snicker** ty for responding cos i was totally gonna bring it up to 80! I candled last nite and everybody is kicking and squirming so [​IMG] Did you set your new eggs?

Yep I have 6 in there and about 198 under broodies. [​IMG] 80% is great for ducks but not chickens. They would never survive humidity that high.

5. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:hey Crappy!!!!! **snicker** ty for responding cos i was totally gonna bring it up to 80! I candled last nite and everybody is kicking and squirming so [​IMG] Did you set your new eggs?

Yep I have 6 in there and about 198 under broodies. [​IMG] 80% is great for ducks but not chickens. They would never survive humidity that high.

well it really pays who ya listen too omg!!!! Thank you for your advise!!! Im a nervous wreck and so excited all at the same time!!! [​IMG] you gonna have LOSTSA chickie babys!!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  6. debilorrah

Quote:Yep I have 6 in there and about 198 under broodies. [​IMG] 80% is great for ducks but not chickens. They would never survive humidity that high.

well it really pays who ya listen too omg!!!! Thank you for your advise!!! Im a nervous wreck and so excited all at the same time!!! [​IMG] you gonna have LOSTSA chickie babys!!!

The one thing I have noticed about this forum is there are first timers helping each other and not enough experienced hatchers to catch all the bad information and it just gets passed around!!! Feel free to hunt me down for any questions - that goes for anyone reading this.

7. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:well it really pays who ya listen too omg!!!! Thank you for your advise!!! Im a nervous wreck and so excited all at the same time!!! [​IMG] you gonna have LOSTSA chickie babys!!!

The one thing I have noticed about this forum is there are first timers helping each other and not enough experienced hatchers to catch all the bad information and it just gets passed around!!! Feel free to hunt me down for any questions - that goes for anyone reading this.

I agree with you on tht!! Whew i really could have made a huge mistake!!! I apreciate the advise i get from the seasoned hatchers!! Tht's how to learn to do it the RIGHT way!! Thanks Again!!![​IMG]

8. debilorrah

Quote:The one thing I have noticed about this forum is there are first timers helping each other and not enough experienced hatchers to catch all the bad information and it just gets passed around!!! Feel free to hunt me down for any questions - that goes for anyone reading this.

I agree with you on tht!! Whew i really could have made a huge mistake!!! I apreciate the advise i get from the seasoned hatchers!! Tht's how to learn to do it the RIGHT way!! Thanks Again!!![​IMG]

You are most welcome!!! Good luck!

9. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:I agree with you on tht!! Whew i really could have made a huge mistake!!! I apreciate the advise i get from the seasoned hatchers!! Tht's how to learn to do it the RIGHT way!! Thanks Again!!![​IMG]

You are most welcome!!! Good luck!

TY TY!!!!

10. debilorrah

Quote:You are most welcome!!! Good luck!

TY TY!!!!

Are you able to be home all day tomorrow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by