1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Lockdown tomorrow, question about humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by avocado, Jul 31, 2014.

1. avocado

avocado In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Hello everyone,

Day 18 tomorrow of my first hatch using an incubator and I have a question about humidity. I have an incubator with water channels at the bottom of the incubator. I've been advised to fill up all the channels to keep the humidity up. Is this correct? Obviously I am not meant to disturb the eggs from day 18 but in order for me to make sure the channels are still full up I'd have to take the incubator lid off at maybe day 20 .. Do I have to do that? What is the procedure?

Thank you

2. avocado

avocado In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Bump

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Crowing

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My incubator, a still air Little Giant, is set up the same way, with the water channels at the bottom. I fill them all up and bring the humidity to around 60-65%. Mine usually holds water for the last 3 days and I don't have to open it, but on the rare instance when it does start to dip low, I keep some aquarium tubing around. I push it through one of the vent holes and syringe water into the wells until its back where it needs to be. I usually only have to do this in winter.
    When the chicks start pipping, they'll release more moisture into the Bator as well, which helps keep the humidity up those last few days.

Good luck!

4. spotsplus

spotsplus Songster

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    If I see humidity down too low after lockdown I do open the bator up to add water :) Your eggs should be hatching now :)

5. avocado

avocado In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Day 20 today and nothing is happening yet - is that normal?

6. Mermaid909

Mermaid909 In the Brooder

Dont give up hope, some chicks hatch slow. I am on my third incubation attempt and it is a learning process. My first batch was ducks and 2 hatched early, two others pipped but did not make it. My second batch was chicken eggs, my temps were not steady and humidity was low, yet I got 6 out of 12 to hatch. The chicks hatched on day 22. I am on my third hatch now and temps have been stable with this digital thermostat that I got from ebay. Good luck to you and take pictures of your fuzzy butts when they hatch. :D

7. avocado

avocado In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    Thank you!

8. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

Yes...don't worry! Are they chicken eggs? If so day 21 is hatching day so you are good! Just keep the bator closed andI also add water if humidity gets too low. Just make sure you add warm water and get in and out quickly and it should be fine [​IMG] Good luck!!!! [​IMG]

9. avocado

avocado In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    UK
    2 of the eggs are rocking! Woo!

10. calichicken

calichicken Crowing

YAY!!!! Babies are coming [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: