Lockdown tomorrow! Wish this quail hatching virgin good luck!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by iheartquail, Mar 24, 2013.

1. iheartquail

iheartquail Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2012
    So tomorrow starts lockdown for the 15 eggs I set in, I think all are fertile but one. Any last minute tips? So excited!

This might be kind of a stupid question, but I have a LG 9200, bought a freestanding computer fan and have it pointed at the heat element and it's worked out great and the temps in there have been really stable. Now I'm worried the babies will hatch and walk into the fan and hurt themselves. But I'm worried if I take out the fan, the temperatures will swing in the incubator. Thoughts?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am not familiar with this incubator. If that fan is anywhere at chick height, as they hatch, they will be rolling around and come into contact with it. So elevate it if you can or remove it when they start to hatch. If you can turn it off, you could also do that at hatch time as well.

On lock down day, up your humidity by 10% higher than it has been and open all vents wide open. If you have to, put a wet sponge in the incubator to get the humidity up.

Have the brooder all ready for the babies, and enjoy the hatch!

1 person likes this.
  3. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks! For now I put that fan in a container I'm hoping it will keep it out of the way. Here is my setup! [​IMG]

4. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    I guess that will work. I have a Farm Innovators incubator, and the fan is mounted to the top of the incubator between the heating element. Did you take the photo right after moving the fan? The temp looks to be around 94 degrees?

1 person likes this.
  5. iheartquail

Oct 8, 2012
    Yeah, had just opened the incubator to set it all up for lockdown so the temp is low in the pic, but it's stable around 100 now

6. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm locking down on 21 cortunix quail tomorrow to! I'm pretty worried about the random 106 temp spike I just had while at the store on my LG. :oops:

7. bugglesmommy

Sorry. It double posted on me!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  8. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    If it was only a temporary spike, it won't hurt the eggs. It is the long term high and low temps that do the damage.

2 people like this.
  9. bugglesmommy

Thanks. I have never hatched quail before and I fret with eggs so small.

1 person likes this.
  10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Yeah, quail eggs are tiny. Wait til you see the chicks that come out of these tiny eggs. Only a tad larger than a bumble bee!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by