lockdown tonight-- oct 19 hatch date

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daddy_roo, Sep 28, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    My incubator has held 99.5 all day. I started cleaning it and sanitizing it yesterday about 5am and after sanitizing it, it sat outside untill about 12:00 noon. I used a cap full of bleach in a 20 oz spray bottle to sanitize so it was very weak. I pluged it in and it has held 99.5 ever since. Is this the right temp for day one?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I think you need to change your topic to Setting tonight. Lock down would be in 18 days [​IMG]

3. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Yes for chickens and quail. Not sure about other poultry. Not sure about bleach though as eggs are pourous and fumes could pass through the shell. However, I'm a newbie so hopefully someone else will chime in. But I do know temp is correct for the whole time. Temp is constant, humidity changes at the end. Good luck!!

4. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:X2

5. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I apologize for the mis-teminology, I assumed lockdown was the start. But Yes I am starting my incubation session tonight. Thank you for clearing the differance up.

6. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its okay we all do it. I think you should be fine with how your doing it at least your not in my boat, I have a Silkie trying to hatch in turner on day 18 and my hatcher isn't ready due to my stupidity.
    Good Luck Michele

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    But you do know about lockdown at day 18 and all the specifics regarding those last few days?

8. daddy_roo

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    Well I thought I did up untill tonight but now I am definately wondering if I was right, so if anyone can fill me in please do so.

9. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    We are talking about chickens, right? We'll be hatch buddies since I just put four eggs under a broody hen last night!

Other than what's discussed, it goes like this. Chickens take 21 days (or so) to hatch. For the first 18 humidity can be low, I kept mine around 40% but didn't have to add water since it's so humid in NC where I live- called dry hatching. You should mark your eggs with an x on one side and an o on the other, or something else along this lines. This way when you turn the eggs three times per day you can tell if you've already turned them. On day 18 you raise the humidity to 60-70% by adding water and if your eggs are in an automatic turner you remove them from it. I put my eggs in cupcake papers to help with clean up. From day 18 until the chicks are dry you don't open the incubator and you don't have to turn the eggs any more. This is the stage usually referred to as lockdown. Chicks can be in the incubator for up to three days after hatch since they are still absorbing yolk and are usually not hungry. As soon as you do remove them to the brooder, give them access to food and water cause they are like teenagers at a pizza party!!

If I've forgotten anything or accidentally misspoke hopefully someone else will come along and correct or fill in the blanks. Good luck and keep us updated!!

10. Jloeffler

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:I love your avatar picture!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by