Lockdown tonight...PICTURE NOW, 7 chicks so far

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duckluck, Jan 24, 2010.

1. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Hey everyone,

Tonight I just locked down what will likely be my last batch of chicken eggs, since my focus is call ducks. The dozen Gold Comet hybrid eggs candled out with 9 looking good tonight...cracked open the remaining three and no visible chick development. The five call duck eggs I have in the bator now all show blood vessel development. [​IMG]

Two of the chicken eggs in the hatcher are ALREADY wiggling!

Question: one of the "quitters" I cracked open had what looked to be a regular yellow yolk, but with a hole in it like a doughnut...what does that mean? Don't think I have heard that mentioned yet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  2. rrhall

rrhall Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2009
    SouthWest,Ohio
    Lock down,that is great,sounds like the chicken eggs are doing great.I will be putting 14 BLRW's eggs in Lock down on the 28th,so you got me by a day.
    I do not have a clue on the egg yoke,never seen one do that before.Good Luck with hatching the Gold Comet's and the call duck eggs you just set.

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Thanks! That egg yolk hole was really weird...wish I had though to take a picture.

4. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Five wigglers now, and peeping!

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    7 chicks now, waiting on the last two eggs and have the brooder warming up...

[​IMG]

Just thought some folks would like a "fuzzy-butt" fix tonight...[​IMG]

In case anyone wonders, the chick who looks like he is doing a stretch in the slammer here is testing one of my little wire cages...testing this idea because I plan to separate my call duck eggs according to parent pairs in the hatcher once we get to that point.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  6. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    [​IMG] awww

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by