Lockdown tonight - questions!

birdbrain5

Songster
12 Years
Aug 2, 2010
I have my little banty cochins going into lockdown tonight. I have read a lot about people dropping the temp a degree so i thought I might do this. Also I am planning to set my humidity as close to 60% as possible, because I think it will raise once they start hatching..
My questions are!- I have read some people use egg cartons or TP rolls cut so make a little "holder" for the eggs.. Should I do this?? I heard how sometimes they play kickball with the unhatched eggs, is this bad if they do? Is it bad to put them in the little "holders" can anything bad happen to them? Is it to prevent the chick from moving once hatched, or just to keep the unhatched eggs out of reach of the hatched chicks??
Thanks

I use the toilet paper rolls so that the hatched chick does not roll the unhatched chick around and drown them. It works for me but I don't use bantam eggs. You might have to make the rings smaller for them. How are your eggs in the incubator right now? Are they laying on their sides or upright in a turner. I have mine laying on their sides, hand rolled so the paper rolls work good for me keeping them in the same position. If you have them upwards you can use the egg carton way. I have heard people cut holes in the bottom and shave some off the top for the bantams. You have to go by what you think will work for you.

they are upright in the turner, should i keep them upright for hatch too? i have always read to lay them on thier sides, and the directions say so too.. im stumped theres so many opinions..
hmm.png
this is my first hatch so i dont really know what works.

Back
Top Bottom