LOCKDOWN? What is Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bedste, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I am new at this incubator thing. I am on day 15. I do not understand what lock down is. I know to stop turning eggs and increase humidity to 70% and keep temp at 99.5. Am I suppossed to do something else?

Is what I mentioned correct? What else do I need to know?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That's a new term invented here on BYC to mean the Last Three Days. It's been called lockdown, I've called it IBW (Intense Bator Watch, or Broody Watch, depending). Just day 18-hatch.

3. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    thanks...... do I need to do something special or do I pretty much have the right idea?

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    The biggest thing. DO NOT OPEN THE BATOR UP [​IMG] NO MATTER WHAT! Or what some would say "SIT ON THOSE HANDS" lol Good luck!

5. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    what do you do if the humidity or temp change? Don't you have to open it to add water ?

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Most who don't want to open the bator use some plastic hose and a syringe to add water.

Me, I stagger hatch, those other eggs need turning and I hand turn. Lock down never happens here.

Here the last three days is more - dont mess with the hatching eggs days. Just leave em alone and let em roll.

While in some micro-climates lockdown is more important, here it appears to not be a strictly necessary thing so I don't fuss on it.

What is important is knowing when to be patient and wait and not fiddle with eggs that are hatching normally.

AKA SIT on those HANDS.

7. Bedste

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    boy that helps a lot! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by