1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CHICKENFARMER22, Mar 23, 2017.

1. CHICKENFARMER22

CHICKENFARMER22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    It's lockdown day for me today. I just put my eggs on lockdown. I have a Little Giant 9300 still air incubator. I have an accurite hygrometer in there. I filled all 6 water trays and it only say humidity is 53%. Does it take a few hours for it to go up? Is the hygrometer junk? Or do I really need to add more water?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    It will probably be tomorrow before it will stabilize. Did you add warm water or straight out the spiket?

Keep in mind your humidity is controlled my water surface---not by depth. so adding more water in the same 6 holes would not help unless the area gets wider/longer/more water surface. I would think all 6 would make the humidity to high. Check it in the morning and see what it is reading---but if you are still up reply back with the answer to above question.

3. CHICKENFARMER22

Jul 15, 2013

Thank you! Yes, I added warm water.

4. CHICKENFARMER22

Jul 15, 2013
    What do I do if the humidity is too high?

5. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    If the humidity is to high you have to lesson the water surface----but if the bottom trays are getting low---then I would only refill certain ones and let the others dry.

Is this your first hatch? You should always test run your incubator without eggs but with the turner running---if you are using a turner--only fill one void in the bottom and let it run a few hours---see what the humidity is---if it needs to be higher fill another one and let it run a few more hours---get the humidity right---make notes which one/s you are using---let it run for several hours or more making sure its stable. Now go into lock down mode----remove the turner(if using) add water to another void----let it run a few hours check the temp---it usually drops after removing the turner because the turner motor gives off some heat---might have to tweek it. Keep filling voids one at a time allowing it to run a few hours until you get the humidity at what you want it for the hatch----take notes on which ones have water----now you are ready---retweek the thermostat and only fill the voids you wrote down to start---let it run about a day---if its stable----add your eggs(do not readjust the thermostat for atleast 24 hrs---then you should not have to---but if you do need to---only a touch and NEVER leave it until hours later---meaning keep checking it every few minutes to make sure it is stable. Only fill the voids you had wrote down for the first 18 days----when you go into lock down----you will already know how many extra to fill and if you are going to have to tweek if you remove the turner.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If there's no condensation don't worry about it. Not at hatch time anyway. It needs to be at least 65% for hatch. If you have all the wells filled, I have a hard time believing you haven't at least hit 60-65%. Even with low humidity in the house (only 16%) filling the trays brings mine up past 60. I add an extra wet sponge at egg level because I prefer 70-75%. I'd be surprised if that hygrometer was right. It shouldn't take more than a couple hours, not even, for the hygrometer to level out with the humidity. I use an accurite combo as well and within a half hour after entering lockdown it has stabilized for humidity. The temps will take a little while longer to stabilize with the addition of water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by