lockdown???

tmpshrty96

Songster
10 Years
Jul 24, 2009
ok so ive read alot about putting your incubator on lockdown and under no curcumstances(excuse the spelling) do you open the incubator. ok so what if 1 hatches two days earlier than the other chicks. i kno it cant go 48 hours with no food. my chicken and quail eggs are due to hatch the 9 so that means lockdown tomoro so im just wondering what to do if somethin like that happens

That always happens to the best of us-wait for the chick to dry and very quickly reach in and grab it to put in brooder ahead of the others-it's fine for 24 hours in the bator-and hopefull by that time others will have hatched-Besides the peeping it makes helps the others go go go....good luck! Mine went on lockdown tonight!

I went on lockdown yesterday....and due Aug 7th....Im already hatching!!!! have 2 cracked eggs and one pipping and comeing on its way!!!! My very first hatch....whew
36033_pippers.jpg
10:45pm

36033_legs_midnight.jpg
MIDNIGHT, I SEE A LEG!!!!

Last edited:
I'm in lockdown down, but I must confess... I've had to open the bator to add water. I also had 2 chicks harassing one that had just hatched, so I pulled the 2 fluffy ones out and put them in the brooder. They've been eating happily and the humidity seems to be fine in the bator. Of course, the bator is in the basement and the ambient humidity in the room is about 65, so the bator humidity can't possibly drop much when it's open
smile.png

i dont really kno how to raise the humidity.....so i have another question so when i take the egg turner out tomoro and fill the rings all the way up then close it and wait to see if it goes up high enough then check it later what if it hasnt gone up high enough. i also dont have any sponges so that wouldnt work...so would it be ok to open it back up to put more in it....also what if it goes to high when i fill the rings up what would i do cuz i cant remove that water...can i???.........................also i forgot to mention that i loaned my incubator to some1 and it came back with out the red plugs in it so i forgot...do you remove the plugs the last three days or is it vital to have them in the holes? its a lg incubator

Last edited:
I used a hand towel...wet it, I didnt wring it out completely...left it more wet...stuck it in there for a bit...humidity went from 68% to 77%...then I took it out...later after like 4hrs....now Im hatching as we speak and sitting at 69%

Good Morning!!!!!
BABY #`1
36033_dsc_0704.jpg

36033_dsc_0708.jpg

UPDATE:
BABY NUMBER 2 JUST OUT...NOT THE ONE I EXPECTED, THIS EGG HAD A PIN HEAD CRACK, I LEFT CAME BACK AND BOOM...BABY!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom