LOckdown!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rocketdog312, Jan 13, 2010.

1. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    YOU GUYS GOT TO HELP ME WITH THIS!!!!!! please please please. Lockdown is in two days! I don't really need help with much but I need you guys to hold my hand through this. I have a few questions, my bator has been 102 degrees in a still air lg for the entire time. thats .5 above normal temps. will this cause an early hatch? also, when am I supposed to here the chicks peeping? on day 16, 17, 18 and so on? Any help would really be appreciated. I mean really appreciated.

thanks in advance

EDIT:

It's lockdown! [​IMG]

w00t!

eggs are done being turned and the cool thing is all of them actually made it to lockdown. I will post anything that happens here! [​IMG]

I need you guys to baby me [​IMG] until this is over with, so bear with me please! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. rocketdog312

rocketdog312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    please guys, I need help with this

3. chiknhut

chiknhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine ran like that last summer in my styrofoam bator. My only hatched a day or two early (days 19-20) so really not off much. I didn't hear mine peeping til they had made a crack in the egg as they were hatching although you can hear them pecking the shell trying to hatch. I have only hatched one season and it was chickens, ducks, and turkeys. I set approx. 150 eggs and maybe had a dozen total that didn't hatch so really no expert here. Hope this helps.

4. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I think 102 is okay for still air. I didn't hear most of mine until right before they hatched. There is an internal membrane that separates the chick from the air space inside the egg. When the chick moves into position to hatch, starting on day 18 but could take a day longer ...and then after that they will pip into the air space when they are getting ready to hatch. That is when you can sometimes faintly hear them. Some I didnt hear until they pipped the eggshell though so I wouldn't worry about it. It is nerve racking when lockdown actually draws near. Then you will start counting down the days till they are supposed to hatch. Mine hatched almost a day late so I was really freaking thinking I would get nothing but it all turned out okay [​IMG] Wishing you good hatching vibes..

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Your temperature sounds fine. What is your humidity? You know, for lockdown, it needs to be increased.

You may hear peeping on day 19, 20, 21. Maybe not until they are pipping (breaking a hole in the egg). Just wait ... you're gonna love it! It is just the neatest sound to hear!

We'll all be here ... to hold your hand! Just keep your hands away from that bator! [​IMG]

6. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    I'll hold your hand 'cause then you'll be holding mine. My eggs are due to hatch the same day and I'm using an LG still air too, and its my first hatch too, so I'm right there with you![​IMG]

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just get your humidity up to 65% and have a way to keep it there. (tube that goes through a vent hole that you can add warm water to) Once the babies start hatching the humidity will skyrocket, don't worry. You'll do OK.

They might hatch a day early.... just be certain that you have increased your humidity.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Kathy is great...she & Germaine held my hand through 41 chicks last time!

And they are eating and pooping machines!!!!

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Well, maybe Germaine is, but I'm not! [​IMG]

10. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Quote:Well, maybe Germaine is, but I'm not! [​IMG]

Well FINE!!!![​IMG] Call me names [​IMG] here you be nice to someone [​IMG] how hurtful [​IMG] just kidding![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by