Lockdown???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jhatch, Aug 6, 2010.

1. jhatch

jhatch In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    I have raised and hatch chickens for years but never heard this term, what do ya'll mean by lockdown??

2. stallionhawk

stallionhawk In the Brooder

Its refers to the last three days of incubation before the chicks hatch. You dont turn the eggs the last three days, and you increase the humity. You pretty much dont open the incubator, unless you have to add water to raise the humitity. So they call it lockdown.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Ha ha! I think the term originated on these boards. Stallionhawk is correct about its meaning, and I think it came up because it's really hard to leave the eggs the heck alone, so some of us almost literally *lock* the incubator shut during the last few days. [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Songster

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    I think you already have your answer but Lockdown is the last three days of incubation. (day 18) when you have to stop touching the eggs and cannot open the incubator. So I guess thats why they call 'lockdown'

[​IMG]

5. jhatch

jhatch In the Brooder

Feb 5, 2009
    Thats is waht I thought, I don't open my incubator hardly ever anyhow. Every 2.5 days to add water that is it. Open it real quick and fill the water and close back!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: