Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyle7630, Aug 15, 2010.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    So I'm on day 18 and from what I have been reading, this is when I take the turner out and close the bator until the hatch is complete. My question is why? What exactly is the reasoning behind lockdown? I know it's part of the process, I am just curious about the ins and outs of it.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Mainly humidity. If the yolk or embryo touches the side of the shell during incubation, it will dry out through the porous shell and stick. The embryo dies or is seriously weakened. It cannot pip and zip properly. That's why you turn them during incubation, to keep the yolk or growing embryo from settling and sticking to the side. When you go into lockdown, the embryo is so big that it can't help touching the side so you raise the humidity to keep it from sticking. If you open the incubator you can lose humidity real fast. Those that have pipped or zipped can dry out really fast. The membrane on the inside of the shell can shrink and stick to the chick in a flash, killing it. I've done that before.

The egg needs to lose a certain amount of fluid during the incubation process or the chick will drown when it does the internal pip. That's why you cannot keep the humidity high throughout the incubation process and not turn them.

There are supposedly certain chemical reactions that take place in the egg in the last few days which also enter into it. I'm not totally convinced that is true, but I am convinced about the humidity issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by