Lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by terrilhb, Jan 12, 2011.

1. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Ok I keep reading about increasing the humidity during lockdown. Mine go in lockdown on the 17th. How do you increase it? Thanks. This is my first hatch

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    What kind of incubator do you have?

3. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I have a 9200 Still Air.

4. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Fill the troughs in the bottom of the bator with water. That should get your humidity up. What is your humidity at right now?

5. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know. Do not know how to check it. This is my 1st hatch. I keep the troughs full all the time. I also spray the eggs before I turn them and after I turn them. Is this bad?

6. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    Well there are two types of hatches, dry hatches and wet hatches. I use wet hatches because I am afraid that I am going to shrink wrap my babies. If you have all the throughs full, the humidity should be high enough. You need to go to Wal-Mart and get a thermometer/hygrometer. This is how you keep an eye on your humidity. I keep my humidity around 55% while I am incubating and I shoot for 65% to 70% durung lockdown. Other people do it different with the dry hatches. It is just your preference. Hope this helps you.

ETA: If you see condensation forming on your windows or if the eggs seem wet, open the vents. If the humidity is too high, your chicks can drown in their shell.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you so much. It does help alot. I have 1 more question how do I make more humidity during lockdown or do I have enough cause the troughs are full? Thank you again:bow

8. sonjab314

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    The only way to be sure if you need to raise your humidity or not is to get a hygrometer. They are around $10 at Wal-Mart. That is a staple in artificial incubation.

9. terrilhb

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Thank you so much. Will do it. Will go tomorrow and get one:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by