Lockdown???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starchick2, May 7, 2011.

1. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    What does lockdown mean? I am new to hatching...thanks!

2. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Last 2-3 days of incubation.... Stop turning... Up Humidity to 60. 65% + and don't open the incubator. Enjoy the show [​IMG]

3. starchick2

starchick2 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Thanks! I do not have a way to gauge the humidity levels, but was told to open and mist them twice a day on the last 3 days. Is that incorrect due to the fact I am not supposed to open the incubator at all?

4. natchlaly

natchlaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    you are not supposed to open the incubator during the last three days. rather than opening and misting i would suggest that you put a wet/damp face cloth in the incubator to raise the humidity instead [​IMG]

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

you should buy a hygrometer in order to know humidity level there... I heard that equipment is quite cheap in US...

hmm... the last three days is critical day, you shouldn't open the bator since it will drop the humidity level down..

by the way, there's good reference for you to see https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48726

wish
    you luck.. [​IMG]

6. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Welcome to BackYardChickens starchick2!!! [​IMG]

I've never heard of misting the eggs during lockdown, and I wouldn't do it. :)

Any store-bought incubator should have a trough in the bottom for adding water.

If you have a home-made incubator, you can add a bowl of water inside. They need

humidity all through-out incubation, not just during lockdown. [​IMG]

Happy Hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by