Lockdown!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sheetmetalpete, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    My free ranging girls have taken advantage of their free ranging. Egg production has gone down over the last few days. Yesterday I found one nest behind some shrubs next to my house. I caught two different hens taking advantage of that particular next.

In order to "get their minds right", they're in lockdown in their coop & run. How long should I confine them so they remember where to lay? I was thinking three days. Is that enough?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Good luck. Some hens never learn I free range most of my birds and more then half lay eggs all over the yard. I go egg hunting everyday.

3. sheetmetalpete

sheetmetalpete Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Central Minnesota
    I hope I can break them. Mine spend a lot of time in the woods & brush to complicate egg hunting.

4. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    We started letting our hens free roam and eggs stopped showing up in the nest. Well a week or so later we found a nest of like 30 of them!!! We just started keeping the girls in until about noon. They usually have laid by then.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by