Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by youngenbreeder, Jul 31, 2011.

1. youngenbreeder

youngenbreeder Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2011
    I was wanting to know if i need to raise the netting on the bottom of the bator for lockdown or put the eggs in a carton. it said at the bottom of this sight

https://www.backyardchickens.com/we...et&PHPSESSID=6a9ef75252d048761e502795e39964f4

that i need to raise the level of the netting or put them in cartons to help keep the yolk temp stable. is this true? this is my first time hatching and i am using a hovabator 1602N with turner and am doing a "dry hatch" keeping the humidty at 30-40% and am aiming for 60-70% for lockdown. i am at day 13 now and want to get everything right. still 25 eggs in the bator after candling day 7 and 12. Can i just take the turner out, lay some paper towl on the netting, and lay the eggs on the netting? thanks, replys much appreciated.

2. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    The reason for raising the screen is to raise the eggs so that the yolk is at the same level, as it was in the turner. When just laying them without cartons or raising the screen they are in a cooler "layer" of air. Due to the thermal layering.

3. chikinwing

chikinwing Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2009
    I am not certain about dry hatching being that much different at lockdown than the regular way except for humidity. But, yes remove the egg turner put down paper towels or some people use a mesh shelf liner that is a little rubbery. I have also heard of people using cheese cloth. Lay the eggs on their side and try to make the small end of the egg point downward. From there you make certain your humidity is where you need it to be and don't open it back up until after all hatching, unless there is a major problem. I hope this helps. Happy Hatching [​IMG]

4. youngenbreeder

Feb 3, 2011
    so DixieChickie and chikinwing would you raise the wire mesh?

5. chikinwing

Jun 30, 2009
    I have a hovabator 1588 Genesis that I use and I don't raise the mesh. My incubator has air flow and does not call for me to raise the mesh. I also have a little giant still air that I have used twice before I bought the hovabator. I never raised the mesh in that either. The reason I did not like the little giant as well was because it was much harder to keep the temps stable without always having to adjust it. I am currently hatching for the second time in my 1588 Genesis, and I am in lockdown as of today. So I am hoping to hear some peeps and see some pips in a few days.

But It does make sense that in a still air you would want the eggs to be in the same posistion with the heat source. I did use a turner in the little giant and still did not raise the mesh. Never knew that was a possibility, so hopefully someone who uses your incubator can give you better insight on that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  6. youngenbreeder

Feb 3, 2011
    yeh i have a forced air. does that make a difference cause the fan will be turned of in lockdown?

7. chikinwing

Jun 30, 2009
    I don't turn my fan off during lockdown, because it is preprogrammed to stay on. I am curious about this as well. I have seen some people to hatch the eggs in the cartons. This is my 4th time hatching and each time I learn more and more from others on what to try. I am in lockdown right now with 5 eggs, and I am keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG]

Hopefully they will hatch.

8. youngenbreeder

Feb 3, 2011
    yeh fingure crossed, ive only got a week today. yeh im curious about the cartons to. im thinking i might just lay them on the floor. im not sure??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by