1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Orange Ribbon, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey, what day do you usually lockdown on quail hatches? I read in the sticky about incubation, but it didn't say anything about lockdown day. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    HI Orange Ribbon,
    I lockdown on day 15.

Did your eggs arrive?

I just got all my new ones in the bator tonight.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Quail
    Benson 22 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 20th day
    Blue Scaled 23 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 21st day
    Bobwhite 22-23 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 20th day
    Button 16 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 14th day
    Cal Valley 22-23 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 20th day
    Coturnix 16-18 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 14th day
    Gambels 22 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 20th day
    Mearns 24-25 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 23rd day
    Mountain 24-25 days 99.5 60-65% 80-85% 23rd day

4. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Those are incubation times, NOT LOCKDOWN DATES. For lockdown, subtract 3 from the total incubation date. [​IMG]

My page has all bird incubation periods, I think... Lol. [​IMG]

5. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks Critter Place and CCourson05!

No eggs yet Critter Place. I hope they will be here in the morning. I set my incubator up day before yesterday, and daggone if this afternoon one of my fans AND my egg turner quit working. And now I can't get the darn incubator up to temperature. I've got it jacked up over 125 degrees but it is only registering 92 degrees. I don't know what the deal is with that. It is a homemade incubator I made out of a little fridge. I have only used it once for some chicken eggs, but they did great with 18 out of 22 hatching. Guess I'll have to run to Walmart tomorrow and get another fan, but I can't afford another turner right now. Just have to turn by hand this time.

I bought a can of brown spray paint to camo my Honda Big Red and when I took the top off this evening the nozzle broke off. What a day. If it weren't for bad luck, I don't think I'd have any. [​IMG]

Well, I guess I'm not totally cursed. I found out yesterday my leukemia hasn't mutated. I've had it in remission for 3 years and my last blood test showed it coming back. If it had been mutated then I'd have to go on and build my coffin. As it is, they upped the dose of my daily chemo meds. I've been sick as a dog for the past two day, but I guess that is better than the alternative. The real bad news is I'll be around a little longer to bother all of you guys. HA! [​IMG]

6. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Day 14 for coturnix. If you set them on the 1st, then lock them down on the 15th, which is 14 days from the set date. The day you set them is day ZERO, 24 hours later is day 1 [​IMG]

If you are off a day+/-, I don't think it matters, but people with longer hatches usually don't count the days right, and it can take a whole 21 days to hatch coturnix, so don't miscount or over book your bator or brooders [​IMG]

7. Orange Ribbon

Apr 14, 2011
    I got my egg turner to work again. Took the motor off and the turner itself was stuck somehow. Fiddled with it until it got unstuck, put the motor back on and now it works. Getting another fan from Walmart then I'll be set. Still no eggs though. Maybe tomorrow they will show up. [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    USPS has been slllloooooowwwww lately and have been enjoying rerouting things! Hope your eggs come soon!

Feel better! Being sick is no fun! I have been in and out of doc offices the past weeks but my case isn't as severe [​IMG] hugs my friend! Quail all the way!

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Glad you got the turner working!

I think we all have our days of "Murphy's law" If it can go wrong it will.... Hopefully he's moved on to bug someone else and you get your eggs soon!!! [​IMG]

The real bad news is I'll be around a little longer to bother all of you guys. HA! bun

That's some of the best "bad" news I've seen! Bug away!! lol..
    I do hope you get to feeling better too! [​IMG]

Keep us posted.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by