Lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pasunset, Apr 3, 2012.

1. pasunset

pasunset Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Berwick, PA
    Ok, eggs go into lockdown tomorrow morning before I go to work. I've been incubating in a LG with fan and turner. Temps have been ok. Humidity has been about 20% if it gets low then I add a tablespoon of warm water or 2. For lockdown I'm switching them to a hatcher. (A LG still air) What should I get the humidty and temp be up to for hatchin the still air? Should I use cut egg cartons to put the eggs in or just lay them down? I'm a first timer so any hints would be appreciated!

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Humidity to 60-65% should be fine. The LG has two trays in bottom. If you have a separate hatcher then play with it prior to placing eggs to see what it take to get that humidity. It may take the outer ring filled. Or if your in humid climate may only take the inner ring. Desert? Might take both rings filled.

As for eggs upright in cartons or on side is a matter of opinion. I incubate in cartons to make turning easy but lay on sides for lock down. It's the last few days that the chicks turn to proper position making eggs wobble. In nature eggs are on side and chicks find correct position. Folks like cartons so hatched chicks don't knock about the unhatched ones but again, it's more what you prefer than what works best for chicks is my opinion.

3. pasunset

pasunset Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Berwick, PA
    I plugged my hatcher(LG-Still Air) in on Sunday afternoon and have the temp running about 100.5. If I fill the water trays in bottom the humidty runs between 60 - 65%. I may have to funnel a little in on 2nd or 3rd day of hatch to keep humidty up, but thats fine. Before I add eggs in morning tomorrow I was going to add a couple pieces of sponge sticking up out of trays against bottown of wire in the hatcher to help bring moisture up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by