Lockdown?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rosemi78, Feb 18, 2013.

1. rosemi78

rosemi78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    HOW DO YOU DO IT?!?!?!? Seriously, how do you make it through these last 3 days?!? I'm putting mine on lockdown in about 15 minutes, and I'm already thinking it should be Thursday by now. I initially put 12 eggs in the incubator, and 11 were fertile. At this point, there's still movement in all 11. I'm so scared that they aren't going to make it to the pipping, zipping and then hatching stages, and I know I'm going to take it hard and feel like I personally killed them myself if they don't make it. [​IMG]

Obviously this is my first ever hatch. I'm not going to have any fingernails left by the time this is all said and done.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    We ALL go through this as a newbies ! You will be fine. Just step away and do something !

3. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ok, first, just step away and go do some sudukos! Or some type of something that gets your mind away from it!!!! You will be fine! You just need to check on them for pips every night. Once you get pips, check on them more often. Remember, don't help them out at all unless they ABSOLUTLY need it! You will be ok, this was exactly how I was. I thought I killed one that just died on its own, but that is just mother nature. Keep us updated on how it goes!!!!

4. HappyBC

HappyBC Out Of The Brooder

I also have put my first eggs into lockdown today!
    I am working all day tomorrow so it wont be so bad...but after that...4 days off! I KNOW I will be glued to the incubator!
    Good Luck!

5. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    So awesome for you, HappyBC!!! You'll have to keep me posted on your progress. Can't wait to see how we both do. I go into work at 5am, and I get home shortly after 1 usually, so I can already hear the kids crying about what's for dinner while I'm frozen at the incubator window, haha. Good luck!!!

Thanks, Chuck. It's funny that you posted about not helping unless they absolutely need it. I actually have the step by step guide to assisted hatching open in another window. I don't plan on helping unless it's obvious that the chick is ready & it just isn't happening. Even though I'd feel like crud if a chick doesn't make it, I also understand that nature has its way of weeding out the weakest... I'm just SO. FREAKING. EXCITED!!! lol, I'm so pathetic, haha.

6. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Oh that is funny you say that because I have that in another window just in case; even though ive been helping hatches for about 2 years! I'm the pathetic one! I have some eggs batoring (that's not even a word lol) In my bator right now and getting some silkie eggs in a couple of weeks..... my darn siklie roo is not fertile!! I will have to make another bator. I just lice making those things! I did have an extra one but I sold it. Man I sure hope your eggs hatch! I really hope they do! I love hatching time!! Keep us updated and good luck! :fl

7. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Ugh... I'm not gonna get any sleep for the next 3, probably 4 nights. [​IMG]

8. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ya my first hatch I stayed up all night to watch........ I was so tired but I got to see a new life be born:) happiest feeling in the world!

9. rosemi78

Jan 27, 2013
    Ashland, Missouri
    Wound up getting about 3 hours of sleep. I kept going to check the temp & humidity - temp is holding at 99.3, but humidity refuses to go over 47%. I have 2 containers of water taking up about half of the incubator floor and a damp sponge in there, so I suppose I'll just work with that. Not sure of what else I can do.
    I just can't wait to see new life waddling around the bator. I know I'll cry, lol. I'm sappy like that.

10. misskeeter

misskeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2012
    Wichita Falls, TX
    I did my first hatch with my fifth grade class last year. Those last days were BRUTAL.

When one finally did start to make an appearance, I called my husband from school and told him I wouldn't make it home. I literally sat there watching it until he came up to get me. I made him bring my daughters with him. The first chickie baby hatched about 30 seconds after my daughters showed up and started watching through those little windows. It was PERFECT. :) I caught a video of it on my camera, and my school posted it on their facebook page. :)

I'm praying for good good things for you and your own chickie babies.

My class hatch this year goes on lockdown this weekend. Day 21 is Tuesday, so fingers crossed. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by