lockdown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by granny hatchet, Jan 26, 2014.

1. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hi ! i have rir eggs in the bator along with very small bantam eggs. they went in on the 15th. and 30 embryos looking good. they are where they should be for air size and the little buggers are moving all over in their little words. (awww) my bantams normally hatch on day 18 the big ones on day 20. can someone please tell me when to go into lockdown and what the humidity should be?? i have hatched a few , funny, its my first hygrometer.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

It is funny as I do a dry hatch and very often I do my lock down on day 18 and more then once I'll be just adding the water and bring the humidity to 50% and bank I start getting peep's and the egg's will be hatching for the next couple of days [​IMG]

But I do believe most people do a 65% humidity [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

3. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thanks gander, but the bantams will hatch day 18 i am not sure when to take the turner away day 16? will that be too much for the big eggs to have their humidity upped at day 16 and stop turning too?

4. HardizzlesFlock

HardizzlesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    South-East Washington
    You should stop turning about day 15. 3 days prior to hatch date

1 person likes this.
  5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you, stop the big ones too? will it be too much humidity too quick on the big eggs?

6. gander007

Here where I live in the desert it is very dry and to get 50% is a little difficult to say the least so I do mostly dry hatch's and I do believe this is why I get most of my hatches at 18 to 20 days even in the winter but a little humidity for a couple of day's should not through you off much as the big egg's have been subject to the extra heat already and are a little ahead I am thinking .....

The other thing you can do is take all the egg's out of the incubator so you can remove the turner and wile the turner is out put the egg's back in and you now have time to adjust the turner to your need's the you can again take out the egg's to put the turner back in but I would recommend doing this in a well heated room so the egg's do not cool of then cover the brooder with a towel or blanket to keep the temps steady .........

1 person likes this.
  7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thank you , you may be right about that too. the big eggs are closer to the heat.

8. gander007

Oh thank you happy to be of service to you [​IMG]
    I hope your hatch goes well [​IMG]

9. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    [​IMG] got a feeling its gonna be a good one.

10. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    went into lock down today got humidity to 50% a little bit small air cell. i candled as i took the turner away and all 30 are still kicking. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by