Locked in the Coop

lularat

Songster
6 Years
Mar 10, 2013
NC
When I scoop poop from the coop, I will get inside, but when my husband or son scoops, they will lean in at the door. It has been windy here for the last couple of days and I went to scoop this morning as usual. I got into the coop and the wind blew the door shut. I have a lock that engages when the door is shut and cannot be opened from the inside. I was locked in and no choices, but to climb through the chicken door or wait for someone to miss me and come looking. I wasn't to crazy about trying to or even if I could, crawl though the chicken door. I decided to wait it out. In the mean time, some of my girls came in to check on me and keep me company. The clock was ticking and the option of the chicken door was looking more appealing. How much longer before someone noticed that I was missing? I had told my husband I was going to collect the eggs, scoop poop, and visit with the girls. After about an hour, my husband comes to the door of the run and looks in. I see him from the coop window and called out to him. When he sees that I am locked in, he starts to laugh and continued to laugh all the way back to the house and of course my son then joins in. I guess I'm going to have to learn to secure that door when I'm inside the coop or take my cell phone with me. I husband won't never let me live this one down.....

Hopefully, there won't be a next time. I'll make sure that door doesn't shut...going to add something so that I can hook the door back when I'm in there.

Hopefully, there won't be a next time. I'll make sure that door doesn't shut...going to add something so that I can hook the door back when I'm in there.
Good for you!
highfive.gif

I managed to get locked in during the summer in the middle of a heat wave. My husband had been in the coop with me and - when he walked out - he automatically locked the coop as we always do. I was busy so didn't hear him slide the lock. Thankfully we have a lot of windows in the coop and one had a window fan so it didn't get too terribly hot in there. However, I'm claustrophobic and it was the LONGEST HOUR of my life! I tried to stay busy since I was stuck in there and was cleaning the roosts and then realized I had poop all over my hands and no way to wash them. Tried busting out but my husband had kept to his word when he said he was going to build a strong coop. No way could I get out of the thing. It took him an hour to wonder why I'd not returned.

We decided to change the locks around a bit to prevent it from occurring again. Well, that didn't get done right away and one day the metal lock managed to jiggle itself so that it was just barely in the lock position with me inside again. Argghhh!! This time my house windows were open and my daughter could hear me screaming.

He'd better get those locks changed soon!! In the interim, I try to remember to take my cell phone with me anytime I go to the coop by myself!

Well, it's sort of nice knowing I'm not in the boat by myself, though I know it's not the kind of boat we want to be in. I am glad that it wasn't summer...then I do think I would have had to try and crawl though the chicken door. Hopefully, we won't get locked in again and if we do, we remember our cell phones. With my luck, my phone won't be charged.
tongue.png

I managed to get locked in during the summer in the middle of a heat wave. My husband had been in the coop with me and - when he walked out - he automatically locked the coop as we always do. I was busy so didn't hear him slide the lock. Thankfully we have a lot of windows in the coop and one had a window fan so it didn't get too terribly hot in there. However, I'm claustrophobic and it was the LONGEST HOUR of my life! I tried to stay busy since I was stuck in there and was cleaning the roosts and then realized I had poop all over my hands and no way to wash them. Tried busting out but my husband had kept to his word when he said he was going to build a strong coop. No way could I get out of the thing. It took him an hour to wonder why I'd not returned.

We decided to change the locks around a bit to prevent it from occurring again. Well, that didn't get done right away and one day the metal lock managed to jiggle itself so that it was just barely in the lock position with me inside again. Argghhh!! This time my house windows were open and my daughter could hear me screaming.

He'd better get those locks changed soon!! In the interim, I try to remember to take my cell phone with me anytime I go to the coop by myself!
Eegads!!

Back
Top Bottom