LockedHearts...Hatch complete at day 21, Updated with pics.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shelleyb1969, Jan 31, 2009.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

3 of the 6 white bantam cochin eggs that Miss_Jayne and I got from LockedHearts have pipped! This is only day 19, so we've got plenty of time for the rest! Plus 2 mutt eggs are due to hatch today...but nothing happening with them yet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. pamperedpoultry

pamperedpoultry CHICKENFIED

Congrats!!! Good Luck with the rest! Noticed the adorable mottled cochin as your avitar..Cochins are so sweet! [​IMG]

3. shelleyb1969

Quote:Thanks! That's "MC"...and for a cochin, "she's" a handful!

4. shelleyb1969

2 more white cochins have pipped! [​IMG]

5. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Congratulations! How exciting! Even better that they pipped early!

6. shelleyb1969

It's such an awesome feeling to see this many pips, 5 out of 6. [​IMG]
    You just get that feeling like "Hey, I got it right!". I have full confidence that the last one will pip tonight as well. [​IMG] But still nothing from the 2 mutt eggs. [​IMG]

7. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I can't wait to see pictures of your chicks! I put 2 mutts eggs in my incubator with my current hatch, but they were clear. They were the only 2 I put in from my hens. I guess my rooster isn't doing his job!

8. shelleyb1969

Also in the bator with these eggs are 3 sizzle eggs, but nothing from them yet either. But still lots of time! [​IMG]

My next hatch, which I put in another bator yesterday, has 24 more sizzles, 6 of my own pure BBS bantam orpingtons, and 2 of my own red frizzled bantam cochin X blue bantam orpington mutts. So I get to go through this all over again in 20 more days! [​IMG]

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That's a great hatching percentage... to what do you attribute your success and how did it happen so soon... Day 19!?

10. shelleyb1969

Quote:Good eggs and steady temps! [​IMG]

Seriously, though...I use dry incubation, keeping my temps between 99-101 and humidity between 30-40% the first 18 days, then 60-70% during hatch. But these cochin eggs have been super viable since day 3...extremely healthy embryos. Lockedhearts' cochin flock is definitely in their "prime"! [​IMG]

As far as hatching early...that's because those little guys are so full of life that they just want out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by