Locking down today!!!!! Who's with me????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by NaomiSarah, Aug 11, 2010.

1. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm locking down fourteen eggs today.

One shaver/leghorn
    One bantam mutt
    Eight australorp (One WAS twins but I couldn't see well enough to candle lately)
    Four EE (one also twins in this batch, but again we'll see.)

With any luck I'll have fourteen chicks by Sunday!!!!! :-D

Anyone else locking down today?

2. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    we're locking down tonight... 12 porcelain d'uccles .... 12 mf d'uccles ... i know not all 24 are developed so we'll pull those.. hopefully we'll have a good number to lockdown out of the 24... we'll see tonight

3. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    only 11 made it into lockdown...

but... we had an early hatcher.... one porcelain d'uccle so far!!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    Oh! Wow! We haven't had any change to the eggs at all, which I'm glad about. Strange though, when I locked them all down I spaced them out in the 'bator a bit, cuz with the autoturner I'm supposed to keep them very close to each other and the turner is off, so I spaced them for hatch. This dropped the temp down a degree on my thermometers which are further from the heat source than my eggs are, so I left the temp alone and didn't adjust. I figure more air flow from the spacing makes it a little cooler, but do you think I should crank it up a degree? Is it normal for the temp to drop upon spacing for hatch?

5. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i take my eggs out of the auto turner and lay them down on the hardware cloth in the incubator to let them hatch... when they hatch in the auto turner they are probably going to hurt themselves as they flop around before they can walk... you might wanna fix that before you have any pips and zips... then recheck your temp after that and adjust as necessary... she chirped all night long... finally we'd had enough this morning and put her in the garage in a brooder with the heat lamp.... she's now sitting quietly lol...

6. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    Good idea. BUT I woke up thismorning to two baby Australorp chicks!!! Two days early but perfect hatches, literally perfect hatches. I have two more pips and several other rocking eggs, so I think my chicks incubated on the counter in the summer heat for the 2 days I was warming the bator. WHOOPS! But I'm happy!!! :-D

[​IMG]

7. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    fantastic!!! i have 4 of those... they are a little over 3 months old now... i was watching one of the mille fluer d'uccle eggs rocking back and forth this morning.. hopefully she'll be out tonight!

8. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Locked down last night only 5 strong possibles of the 20 origianlly put in the bator. all ten of the Speck eggs were duds and 5 of the Jap eggs I put in as fillers were late quitters. after I pulled the turner and increased the humidity the temp shot up and I had a hard time getting it to come down.

9. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chirping

Jul 4, 2010
    I'm up to three chicks now... wait, just checked and FOUR little australorps!!!!!! :-D:-D:-D

10. Thundrr-Chicken

Thundrr-Chicken Songster

Apr 20, 2010
    Dover, Ohio
    i came home from work to a newly hatched mille fluer d'uccle .... they are so tiny when they come out.... then tonight i put 35 light and buff brahma eggs in my incubator... huge eggs.... crossin my fingers... sept 3rd for them... still have 9 d'uccle eggs that should come out tomorrow.... fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: