1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Locking down?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Orphy, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    I know this sounds stoopid, but I have heard different people refer to it at the time when they first put the eggs in and then again on the last 3 days... so which is it? I am new to this and want to make sure I get the terms right, LOL

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Lock Down occurs on Day 18. That is when you do not under any circumstances open the lid for the next 3-4 days until hatch is over. [​IMG] Therefore, virtually "locked down".

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2010
  3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Not stupid at all! You should have seen the questions I asked my first time! [​IMG]
    I could not figure out what, "turning," the eggs was ... in an egg turner! I thought the eggs needed to turn upside down! Nowhere did is say, that they are just gently rolled! [​IMG]

Anyway, about your question ...
    The first 18 days are the incubation period. Then, on day 18 ... you increase the humidity, and keep the incubator closed (to keep the humidity in there). Be sure, though, to have your vent open ... for oxygen. If you have a styrofoam incubator, there are 12 little holes on the bottom. Those are for oxygen, also. Be sure they are not covered or obstructed. Oxygen is important, especially when hatching!

I didn't know that, and I covered the holes with tape (I thought they were "overflow," holes or something!). I lost a hatch from that! I also had the vent plugged, trying to keep the humidity in. Boy, did I learn!

Good luck!

4. Orphy

Orphy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2009
    Magnolia, TX
    Thank you so much! my eggs are coming next week and want to make sure I don't mess something up. I feel like I am on edge worrying about ruining the wole hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by