Locking my chicks up at night!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dkhaxton, Oct 3, 2012.

1. dkhaxton

dkhaxton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Today is the first day my flock has left the house full time to their permanent outside house. I have a 6x8x14 portable coop on wheels that can be moved around our yard. The coop itself is elevated 3ft off the ground, all around the run is a 2foot paneled section with tin roof over the entire thing. Due to a couple low areas in the yard, we filled in small gaps with heavy duty stone that I can barely move. If my flock is inside the coop, it is necessary to lock them in? What is your feelings about a heatlamp in the coop? My chicks are 5 weeks old, have their feathers but they have been kept pretty warm up to this point. Temps will reach 50's over the next few weeks, 75-80 during the day. Thanks for your input and advise!

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    As long as they are inside and protected from winds they should be fine without a lamp. If the temps approach freezing before they are full sized them maybe add the lamp. That is what I will be doing in my grow out pen with my chicks I will be moving out at end of Oct.

3. LiLChicken

LiLChicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2012
    I-Da-Ho
    I would agree with Turtlepower and add that the size of the flock would make a difference

4. dkhaxton

dkhaxton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 3, 2012
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I'm already a Mother Hen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by